Thursday, January 19, 2012

Take A Chance On Me

You know I love Abba ... but no other phrase best describes the request of my 3rd grade teachers to drop the reading book almost 2 months ago. Fast forward 2 months and I would now say, "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" Actually, it is our kids who beg for more reading time!

After seeing the change of academic focus and new love for reading by our 3rd grade students,
I asked the 3rd grade team to present at our faculty meeting, and to be honest, it was a risk. You have all read about Elisabeth's journey from life beyond the reading book. However, we all know how hard it is to be a prophet in you own land. After the meeting, I discovered the team had those same reservations. Worrying was a waste of our time!

Our staff is hooked. After they presented, our staff spent another 45 minutes with "testimonies" from the 4th grade teachers sharing of their experiences, my sharing of my observations, and just some good solid instructional dialogue; we all felt empowered.

I trust Elisabeth will share the details with you, but I wanted to publicly acknowledge my appreciation for the risk taking of her and her grade level in the name of student learning!


Rebecca

instead of Photobucket


1 comment:

Twins, Teaching and Tacos

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover